Friday, March 18, 2016

Rain Prayer Flag

I'm posting this one today because I'm considering doing another prayer flag swap over on ye olde Craftster. This is a flag that I created for my very first prayer flag swap, and I really loved playing with all these materials. I dare say it was my first foray into the mixed media world involving fabric. 

Prayer flags measure around 4 x 7 inches (I think, it's early.) The background here is a lovely fabric that I've had in my stash for ages -- then I went ahead and layered "stuff." The "stuff" includes raindrops made from painted-on fabric and metallic fabric, a painted dryer sheet, more painted-on fabric up at the top, scrabble letters, and bobbly stuff at the bottom. (Again, this has a name. It's all eluding me at the moment.) 

This is displayed on a random piece of birch wood that decorates our living room. Random is the key word there!

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Ephemera binders made with -- get this -- MORE ephemera

I just realized I have never posted these binders -- and they are two of my favorite projects. In an effort to start organizing my ephemera, I resurrected these old binders that my aunt gave me when she was cleaning out her office. But they were dusty and unremarkable when she gave them to me. So what to do? Using up some of the stash felt like the appropriate way to go.
To begin, I cleaned off the binders. Then, I chose scrapbook paper that would make a nice backgound. After that, it was a lot of gluing, sewing, stenciling, etc. And after the sheet of paper was complete, I adhered it to the binder using gel medium. Easy peasy, and it used up a lot of the stash.

Here are some close ups:

I really love how the stitching added some more texture. I also love the donut graphic. 

This is the inside divider on the green binder. 

I have a few more binders to cover, and certainly lots of ephemera to fill them up with. I've been using sheet protectors and the baseball card sheets to hold everything. So far, it's working out well! I'm getting organized and looking fancy while doing it. Win-win.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Paper Explosion

This post is kind of a mish-mosh of things -- but in general, I have a paper explosion going on in my craft room right now. (My husband might reply, "When don't you have a paper explosion going on?" Well played, sir. Well played.)

I've been working with layers, collage, molding pastes, inks, gelli plates... all that good stuff.  This is a 4x6 art piece that I made for a Craftster swap this month. The background uses sort of a paper mosaic technique, and it's layered with paints, gelatos, stenciled-on molding paste, paper bits, filigree -- all kinds of good stuff. I was really happy with the boldness of the green.

I am hosting a swap on Craftster that is finishing up -- we're swapping papers and ephemera, and it has been a blast. You fill up a medium flat-rate box and ship that puppy out. I had two partners, so while I thought I was purging a lot of stuff, I then received just as much back. But now it's all new and exciting. These are a couple of envelopes that I created to put some of that stuff in for the swap. I love these red envelopes! The stamps are hand carved (by me) and the edges are covered in fabric duck tape. (Which is fabulous, by the way!)

Then last night, I got my gelli on. I'm still not getting the types of prints that I really want, but I'm having fun and learning a lot. It's definitely a process. Here are a few shots of the state of my craft desk, along with some tags and prints I made. 

Not sure where these will end up, but I have ideas! I'm sure there will be many more paper explosions this week. I'll try to take pictures when it happens. 

Friday, March 4, 2016

Alice In Wonderland Art Block

Are you familiar with art blocks? They are small blocks of wood that you decorate and make into something weird and fabulous. (You know, art.)  This was my attempt at creating an art block for a Craftster swap last year -- I was really thrilled with how it came out.

This was one of my first forays into pyrography, or wood burning. My partner's theme was Alice in Wonderland, and I adapted an old sketch created by Sir John Tenniel for the original book. (See some of his sketches here.) I added some paint into the scene to add interest.

My Cheshire Cat friend was made from paper clay. His eyes and mouth were painted in glow-in-the-dark paint, so when the lights go out, his creepy little face can still be seen. (That was pretty much impossible to photograph, so try to imagine it.)

Some side detail. I always enjoyed the "We're all mad here," quote. :)

And a view of the other side -- "I'm late for a very important date." The base of the block is supposed to represent Tweedledee and Tweedledum. I used wooden balls and wooden hearts to create the feet.

I have some wooden block scraps in our garage that I have thinking about. It may be time for a new art block!